Naturopathy & Naturopathic Medicine
Naturopathy (natur-AH-path-y) is the art of natural healing. It is rooted in the belief in the body’s inherent wisdom to ‘heal oneself.’ Dr. Benedict Lust coined the term ‘naturopathy’ in the late 1800’s in America. Naturopathy was the medicine used by a growing profession of doctors and healers who used European and American herbal medicines, homeopathy, physiotherapy, and water cure therapy. Today, the science of Naturopathic Medicine is an ever evolving, vital and holistic system of modern medicine deeply rooted in this historical wisdom. Naturopathic Medicine is an art, a philosophy, a science, and an integral health care practice of diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of illness using natural, non-toxic, & non-invasive therapies. Naturopathic Physicians must attend a 4-year residential medical school, and are trained in traditional medical sciences and clinical studies as well as in the therapeutic sciences of nutrition, botanical medicine, homeopathic medicine, and hands-on body therapy. Naturopathic physicians use a wide range of natural therapies appropriately chosen specifically for the individual to promote health & wellness.
The philosophy of Naturopathic Medicine is distinguished by six principles:
- The body can heal; nature can heal
- Identify and remove the cause of one’s illness
- First, do no harm to the patient – use the least invasive, effective method
- Teach the patient about his or her health; empower each individual
- Treat the whole person; treat the whole individual
- Prevent disease or future illness
Natural Healing Modalities
Naturopathic Physicians use a wide spectrum of natural healing modalities:
- Dietary & nutritional counseling – using foods as medicine for the individual’s needs and health; identifying foods that are impeding one’s health; using foods to promote vitality
- Lifestyle counseling– maximizing lifestyle choices toward promoting health, reducing risks of illness, and preventing chronic disease; educating clients about tools for stress management
- Nutritional supplementation– using the purest & highest quality nutritional vitamins, minerals, and nutrients to promote healing & health
- Herbal medicine – using herbs and medicinal plants to address individual health issues and promote healing & health
- Homeopathic Medicines- homeopathy is an effective system of natural medicine using extremely small doses of natural substances (called ‘remedies’) to promote healing. Homeopathy is based on the principle of “like cures like”: if a large dose of a substance can cause illness/symptoms in a healthy person, then a very small (homeopathic) dose of that same substance can cure a sick person suffering from that same illness/symptoms. Recognized by the US Food and Drug administration and prepared by regulated pharmacies, this 200-year-old form of natural medicine was developed by a German physician, Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, is now used by millions of people around the world.
- Hydrotherapy- using applications of hot and/or cold water to stimulate the immune system and promote healing & health
- Bodywork- offering hands-on methods of promoting healing & health. Dr. Frodermann uses the Original Bowen Technique, a gentle form of body balancing.
Homeopathy is an effective and scientific system of healing which assists the body’s natural tendency to heal itself. Homeopathy recognizes that any symptom of ill health are expressions of disharmony and imbalance within the whole person, and that it is the whole person who needs treatment in order to recover one’s health. When receiving treatment with homeopathy, the focus is on the individual’s specific and unique manifestation of symptoms; less focus is placed on name of one’s disease.
The word ‘homeopathy’ originally comes from Greek language and means “like disease”. The ‘medicine’ given is ‘like’, or similar, to the ‘disease’ that the individual is expressing in his/her totality of symptoms.
Definition of Homeopathy: a system of medical practice that treats a disease especially by the administration of minute doses of a remedy that would in larger amounts produce in healthy persons symptoms similar to those of the disease
What is Homeopathy
Homeopathy is a safe, gentle, and natural system of healing which works with one’s body to relieve symptoms, restore vitality, and improve overall health.
Homeopathy (aka Homeopathic Medicine) is a practice of medicine that embraces a holistic, natural approach to the treatment of individuals suffering illness and disease. Homeopathy is ‘holistic’ as it treats the person as a whole, rather than focusing on an isolated issue or a diagnosed disease. Homeopathy is a ‘natural’ therapy as its remedies are produced according to the U.S. FDA-recognized process via Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States, and acquired from natural sources, such as plants, minerals, or animals.
Homeopathic medicines have none of the concerning side effects of many modern drug medications. In fact, homeopathy has over a two-hundred-year history of safety in the use of these potentized oral medicines (aka remedies) among patients of all ages, including babies, children, pregnant and nursing women, and senior citizens (as well as farm animals and pets).
Homeopathic medicines are FDA regulated. Officially recognized under the 1938 Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, the 1965 Medicare Act, and the 1987 FDA Compliance Policy Guidelines, these safe, gentle, yet deep-acting medicines can be used to treat persons experiencing many kinds of medical conditions.
History of Homeopathy
Dr. Samuel Hahnemann (1755-1843), a respected German doctor and toxicologist, developed homeopathy based on the principle of “like cures like,” and that minute concentrations of a particular toxin could cure the very same symptoms it would cause when administered in larger doses.
Dr. Hahnemann was the first to codify the guiding principle of “let likes cure likes,” into a system of medicine. Starting with experiments (called “provings”), which he conducted first on himself, Dr. Hahnemann then administered medicinal substances to healthy volunteers (called “provers”). Symptoms that developed in these provers while taking a specific substance gave the homeopathic “picture” of and indications for that remedy. That remedy could then be used for folks who presented with an illness that presented similarly. Over the years, by means of such provings, toxicological data, and clinical experience, the ‘homeopathic drug pictures’ of over 2000 substances (now called remedies have been derived and classified in books, most notably referred to as “Homeopathic Materia Medica”.
Treatment with Homeopathy
In the practice of Homeopathy, a detailed, comprehensive interview of the patient is undertaken to reveal the physical, psychological and emotional characteristics, i.e. all the complaints of the individual. The homeopath then finds the homeopathic remedy whose materia medica (drug picture) is the most similar to that of the patient’s characteristic ‘totality of symptoms’. That homeopathic prescription is given to the patient to stimulate his/her being to heal.
There are two main categories of treatment in Homeopathic Medicine; i.e., acute and chronic. Acute treatment is for illness of recent onset; it may be self-limiting (for example, the common cold), or it may progress if not treated (for example, pneumonia). In such an illness the body might, sooner or later, overcome the illness, a cold for example, but the appropriate homeopathic remedy gently stimulates the body to recover more quickly and efficiently.
Chronic or constitutional treatment is the other category of treatment. A chronic disease is long standing or a recurrent health problem. The length of treatment and the challenge to achieve positive results is affected by many factors, including the nature of the problem, one’s health history, one’s family medical history, previous treatments, and the person’s inherent constitutional strength. The goal is to help the individual to return to a state of well-being via individualized homeopathic treatment, and time.
Sheila M. Frodermann, ND, DHANP, CCH achieved her board certification in classical homeopathy from the Counsel of Homeopathic Certification (CHC) and was honored as a diplomat of Homeopathic Academy of Naturopathic Physicians (HANP), in 2012, ensuing an eleven-year post-graduate intensive study of classical homeopathy via the New England School of Homeopathy, with mentors Drs. Paul Herscu and Amy Rothenberg.
Naturopathic treatments assist in healing the following:
- immune support
- Candida fatigue
- irritable bowel
- gallbladder colic
- sore throats
- bladder infections
- ear infections
- Lyme disease
- Women’s Health
- irregular periods
- Chronic Diseases
- high blood pressure
- chronic fatigue
- heart disease
- cancer support
- autoimmune diseases